Here are some of my favorites:
1. At Doctor Express, after having Laura see the doctor and on our way out, the doctor taps me on the shoulder and says, "You're so brave!" Really? For what? Laura is sick - not me.
2. When people say, "I'd like to know more about your disease." Ok, I have a disability- not a disease. And there is Google- I'm not a walking encyclopedia. I do give disability presentations, let me give you my business card.
3. When you hear, "Let's race!" I'm not driving a car or in NASCAR. I'm not a teenager just waiting to go fast in my car. I'm in a wheelchair- just walking around like you.
4. "How fast does that thing go?" - Really? How fast do you run? I honestly have no idea nor care.
5. "Are they really your kids??" - No, I pay them off to follow me all day asking me for stuff and saying Mom three hundred times a day. Yes, I can get pregnant and have babies. Just tell me you think they're cute - nothing more is needed.
6. "I can't imagine not being able to control my muscles. I think I rather die." Sorry you have so much little self worth. Life isn't horrible to need help. After all, I can't imagine going through life saying annoying statements to people but obviously it doesn't bother you.
7. When I'm dancing with my husband, someone comes up and says, "Do you like the music?" No, it's horrible. Or I'm deaf! In all seriousness, if someone is dancing, they most likely like the music. Just saying.